Popular Dental Care Treatments for Teens
By Stephen Rogers on January 13, 2015
For many, the teenage years are a time when appearance and “fitting in” become a major concern. Teens who are embarrassed by their smiles may become withdrawn and miss out on many of the joys of teen life. Fortunately, there are many dental treatments that can aesthetically repair dental damage and improve the appearance of dental flaws. Treatments like Invisalign® offer a virtually invisible option for teens requiring orthodontics. Find out more about dental care options for teens in this overview from Greater Long Island Dental.
Popular Dental Treatments for Teens
As children reach the teen years, they require more aesthetically minded treatments and should continue to practice proper oral hygiene to maintain healthy smiles into adulthood. The following treatments can correct dental damage or flaws to create a gorgeous smile any teen would be proud to show off.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings: Unsightly, metal fillings are no longer the only option for restoring teeth damaged by decay. Tooth-colored fillings are custom-made of either porcelain or composite resin to seamlessly match the surrounding teeth.
- Root Canal Therapy: For teens who experience root canal infections, whether from tooth decay or injury, root canal therapy can save the damaged tooth from further decay or loss. During root canal therapy, the inner root canal is cleaned of infected nerve and pulp tissue to alleviate dental pain and further damage.
- Teeth Whitening: Teeth whitening is a popular treatment for teens who wish to enhance their smiles. Professional teeth whitening is safe and gentle, and can lift years of dental stains in a single treatment.
- Porcelain Veneers: Many teens would like to conceal cosmetic dental flaws such as large gaps between the teeth, minor chips, or irregularly shaped teeth. Porcelain veneers quickly improve the shape, size, and proportions of the teeth. Even minor misalignment can be corrected with porcelain veneers when used as instant orthodontics.
- Porcelain Crowns: Porcelain crowns are tooth-shaped restorations that completely cover damaged teeth. Crowns are useful for protecting teeth with large fillings, as well as preserving broken or cracked teeth.
- Dental Implants: Active teens may experience tooth loss from sports-related injuries or have a missing tooth due to genetics. Dental implants offer a permanent solution to replacing missing teeth. Dental implants are titanium posts placed within the jaw bone. A dental crown is attached to the implant to restore individual teeth. Dental implants with crown restorations are offer the benefit of looking and feeling like the natural teeth since they closely mimic the tooth's roots and each crown is custom-made to match the neighboring teeth. However, teens must wait until they are in the early 20s to have the procedure performed.
- Invisalign®: Invisalign® offers an aesthetically pleasing alternative to traditional metal braces, making it one of the most popular treatments for teens. Invisalign® uses a series of clear trays to gently realign the teeth. Invisalign® trays can be removed while eating, brushing, and flossing, making it easier to keep the teeth and gums healthy during treatment.
Schedule an Appointment
To find out more about teen dental care or to receive a personalized treatment plan, we welcome you to schedule an appointment.
Related to This
“We are dedicated to making you feel welcomed, respected, and truly cared for.”