Understanding Your Candidacy for Invisalign®
Many of our patients with crooked teeth have considered straightening their smile with Invisalign®. This popular orthodontic system gently realigns your teeth with clear plastic dental trays. The comfortable, customized aligners can help you achieve your cosmetic goals using a treatment that is practically unnoticeable to others. If you are ready to take the first step towards an even, straight smile, contact us today. One of our dentists can meet with you to determine your candidacy for Invisalign® treatment at our Long Island, NY, practice during a one-on-one consultation.
What Invisalign® Can Do for You
More and more people have turned to Invisalign® in recent years for its ability to address a wide array of bite problems and aesthetic concerns. In most cases, Invisalign® can help patients overcome:
- Bite problems – Invisalign® can address mild to moderate underbites (the lower teeth extend out past the top row) and overbites (the upper row of teeth jut too far beyond the lower row).
- Uneven spacing – Teeth that are not evenly spaced can lead to noticeable gaps, or overcrowded teeth that are angled together.
- Singe-tooth misalignment – Just one misaligned or rotated tooth can throw off the balance of an entire smile.
By treating these issues, Invisalign® can give you the straight, even teeth that are a key component of a gorgeous smile. Patients should keep in mind that although Invisalign® can help correct mild to moderate alignment issues, traditional orthodontics may be a better solution for cases that are more complex or severe.
Determining Your Candidacy
Candidates for Invisalign® include nearly anyone with good oral health who is interested in orthodontic treatment. Factors that might negatively affect your eligibility include extremely misaligned teeth, substantial underbites and overbites, or patients who are not able to wear their aligners regularly. Unlike braces that are securely adhered to the front surface of the teeth, Invisalign® aligners are removable. Patients should be responsible enough to wear their aligners for about 22 hours a day. The trays should only be taken out for brushing, flossing, eating, and on rare occasions, special events. To keep your treatment on schedule, it is important that patients are compliant, and wear their aligners consistently.
While Invisalign® can be very effective in addressing a number of alignment problems, there are several conditions it cannot treat:
- Rotated teeth – Invisalign® can straighten slight rotations, but anything beyond 30 degrees should be corrected with traditional orthodontics.
- Vertical movement – Invisalign® can correct the horizontal movement of teeth, but cannot move teeth in an up or down motion.
- Impacted teeth – While Invisalign® can make room for new teeth, it cannot treat teeth that fail to erupt through the gum line.
Patients who are currently suffering from other dental conditions, such as tooth decay or gum disease, will need to have their Invisalign® treatment postposed until these conditions are brought under control.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If your bite is off balance or your teeth are out of line, Invisalign® can improve the function and beauty of your smile. Contact our practice today to schedule your Invisalign® consultation.
“We are dedicated to making you feel welcomed, respected, and truly cared for.”