Gentle, Effective Tooth Extraction
We take every measure to avoid the need for tooth extraction. However, if you have a severely compromised tooth, extraction may be the best solution. Using a combination of a gentle touch, anesthesia, and - if needed - sedation dentistry, Dr. Stephen E. Rogers and his associates can perform comfortable tooth extractions. They can also coordinate placement of dental implants and other restorative treatments to replace an extracted tooth. Using advanced technology, we will carefully examine your tooth and overall dental alignment to determine the most effective treatment for you. Contact us today to learn more about tooth extraction and the gentle techniques we use at our Long Island, NY, practice.
Reasons for Extraction
There are several reasons why tooth extraction can become necessary:
- Extensive decay: If you have a very large cavity that has weakened your tooth beyond what a dental crown can repair, extraction may be appropriate.
- Serious crowding: In some cases, a tooth is so severely misaligned that it places pressure on nearby teeth, affecting overall dental alignment. Extraction can enhance your appearance, improve your oral health, and reduce your risk of developing TMJ disorder.
- Wisdom teeth: Many patients do not have enough room for their wisdom teeth. It is often advisable to remove these teeth early, before they become impacted or cause other dental problems.
- Gum disease: If severe gum disease has left you with loose teeth, extraction may be necessary.
- Broken tooth: In many cases, we can restore a broken tooth with a crown or root canal therapy. However, if you have a dental fracture that extends into your root, or if the tooth has broken off below the gum line, we may need to remove it.
- Other health concerns: If you have a weakened immune system, root canal therapy may not be advisable. In this case, extraction may the best solution to a dental infection.
Our Approach to Tooth Extraction
Whenever possible, our dentists will try to save your tooth. With our digital x-rays and intraoral cameras, we can examine your teeth and gums to determine if there is any other viable solution. If we decide that it is best to remove the tooth, we will use local anesthesia and very gentle techniques. In this way, we can minimize your discomfort and promote faster healing. If you are anxious or especially sensitive to dental treatment, we can also provide sedation to help you relax.
Restorative Options Following Extraction
At Greater Long Island Dental, we want you to enjoy a beautiful and healthy smile. If we conclude that you need an extraction, we will also recommend a restorative treatment to meet your needs. Our crowns, bridges, dentures, and implant-supported restorations are made from durable, lifelike materials. Made just for you, they will be a near-perfect match to your smile. We will discuss your restorative options before removing your tooth, so that we can design a complete treatment plan to meet your needs.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you have a severely damaged tooth, contact us today to schedule an examination. We will recommend the most conservative option to restore the health, aesthetics, and function of your smile.
“We are dedicated to making you feel welcomed, respected, and truly cared for.”