Restore Your Smile with Natural-looking Tooth-colored Fillings
Dental fillings are designed to restore stability to a tooth that has lost a portion due to decay. Unlike older silver restorations, today’s fillings are made of a special composite that is incredibly durable and blends beautifully with your natural teeth. If you need a filling to strengthen and protect a compromised tooth, you can trust the experienced team of dentists at Greater Long Island Dental. To learn more about the tooth-colored fillings offered at our Long Island, NY, practice, contact us today and schedule your appointment.
A Closer Look at Fillings and Restorations
A dental filling is often used to provide support to a tooth after it has been treated for mild decay or damage. If your tooth has suffered severe damage, an inlay or onlay may be a more appropriate treatment. Similar to fillings, inlays and onlays reinforce a tooth, although they cover a larger area of the tooth's surface. The most comprehensive form of support for a damaged tooth is a dental crown. Also known as a cap, a dental crown completely encircles a tooth on all sides.
Placing a Filling
If you are suffering from a cavity, one of our dentists will first remove the decayed or damaged portion of your tooth. Once the treatment area is cleaned and prepped, a composite material will be used to fill in the lost tooth structure. The material will be carefully sculpted so it does not interfere with your bite. A special light will be used to cure and harden the material. Following this relatively quick procedure, you can leave our office with a fully functional and attractive tooth.
Benefits of Tooth-colored Fillings
More people are turning to tooth-colored fillings when they consider the many advantages over metal restorations:
- No risk of allergic reaction – Allergic reactions to amalgam fillings are rare, but can cause uncomfortable rashes and itching similar to a skin allergy.
- Mercury-free – Mercury is used in small amounts in amalgam fillings. Although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) deems this material safe, many people are concerned that mercury exposure will negatively affect their health.
- Incredible strength – Unlike metal fillings, tooth-colored fillings bond directly to the tooth's surface. This strong bond provides a level of stability that metal fillings simply cannot match.
- Enhanced aesthetics – Shiny metal fillings can detract from the uniform whiteness of your smile. Over time, metal fillings can even cause the tooth to take on a grayish tint. Composite fillings, on the other hand, blend in seamlessly with natural tooth enamel.
- Unmatched durability – Metal fillings are prone to changing their shape over time due to changes in temperature. This can cause lasting damage to your tooth structure. Fortunately, tooth-colored fillings are not affected by temperature fluctuations, and provide a consistent level of stability to your tooth.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Our dentists can help restore your oral health without detracting from your appearance. Find out why more patients are choosing tooth-colored composite fillings to rejuvenate their bite and smile. Reach out to us today and schedule your appointment.
“We are dedicated to making you feel welcomed, respected, and truly cared for.”